The Big Tent Events – Events for or Staffed by Volunteers
Tuesday, August 29th – 8:30-11:00
Living Legacy Foundation – 1730 Twin Springs Rd #200 Halethorpe, MD 21227
Presented by: Allison Schwartz, Volunteer Manager at the Maryland Zoo in Baltimore and Alice Donahue, Assistant Director of the National Electronics Museum
Big Events That Use Volunteers
Allison Schwartz has been with the Maryland Zoo in Baltimore for 6 years but has been a volunteer manager for over 10 years. The Zoo holds many kinds of events per year which can use anywhere from 6 volunteers to over 400. Allison will discuss her recruitment method, management techniques for the day of, and problems/solutions for her events.
Alice Donahue is the Assistant Director of the National Electronics Museum, where she manages the historical artifact collection and coordinates the volunteer program. She completed an MA in Public History at UMBC in 2008, and became a Certified Volunteer Administrator in 2016. Alice will discuss how she trains, utilizes, and manages volunteers to take the lead of her events.
To Register: e-mail the MCDVS Secretary, Alice Donahue at MCDVS2@gmail.com
Welcome to the 2017-2018 Season
Tentative Workshop Schedule
Tuesday, August 29th – 8:30-11:00
Tuesday, October 17th – 12:30-3:00
Friday, November 17th – ELEMENTS TRAINING
Tuesday, January 16th – 8:30-11:00
Tuesday, March 20th – 8:30-11:00
Tuesday, May 15th – PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT DAY
Please add these dates to your calendars. All dates are subject to change. We will have a more in depth list with topics and speakers soon. Stay tuned.
Elements of Volunteer Management Training
Scheduled for Friday, November 17th
Registration Form – Elements Flyer Registration 2017
Location – Oak Crest Senior Living Center
Time – 8:30-4:00
Who to Ask for General Questions
Membership – Melissa Sharlat- MELISSA_SHARLAT@bshsi.org
Elements – Barbara Wilt – firstname.lastname@example.org
General Questions – MCDVS2@gmail.com
Inclement Weather – If you are unsure due to weather if a workshop will take place please refer to the status of Baltimore County Schools. If they are closed then there will be no workshop. If they are open, we will have the workshop.
Please find the link to the 2017-2018 MVCDVS Brochure. It has great information about up-coming workshops, membership information, historical information, and more.
Join MCDVS today!
Our Members: Our members represent a variety of fields including arts and culture, education, juvenile and youth services, volunteer centers and many more. Our members titles include Executive Director, Program Manager, Project Coordinator, Human Resource Director, Events Coordinator, Director of Volunteer Services to name a few.
- Paid or unpaid managers of volunteer services programs
- Retired and former administrators of a volunteer program
- Professional administrators and consultants in the field of volunteerism
- Those with a vested interest in the field of volunteer services
What Membership Means for You…
- Participation at four meetings each year that feature networking opportunities and diverse educational programs
- Full access to the MCDVS website, including membership directory, job announcements, newsletters, professional networking, member of surveys and more
- Member discounts and eligibility for scholarships for MCDVS trainings, such as Elements of Volunteer Management Course and Professional Development Day
- Guidelines and advice from an experienced mentor
- Development of leadership skills through committees and Board involvement, and mentoring opportunities
- The opportunity to affiliate with Maryland’s oldest and most respected volunteer administrator’s professional association